A Seattle judge involved in a sex scandal dies by suicide

A Seattle judge involved in a sex scandal dies by suicide

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

The Honorable Gary M. Little shoots himself just hours before the Seattle Post-Intelligencer releases an article accusing him of abusing his power by sexually exploiting juvenile defendants who appeared before him. The front-page article also suggested that he had exploited his teenage students as a teacher in the 1960s and 1970s. The scandal raised questions about the judicial system, because Little had been investigated and disciplined, but the investigations had been kept a secret.

In 1981, Little’s first year as a judge, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer received a tip about Little’s unusual relations with juvenile defendants. When the reporter investigated the matter, he found that Little, who was working as a volunteer counselor in juvenile court at the time, had been charged with third-degree assault in 1964. He was accused of assaulting a 16-year-old defendant in his apartment, but the charges had been dismissed. The paper never published the story, but it sparked an investigation by deputies working for King County prosecuting attorney Norm Maleng.

Reportedly, Little had visited three male juvenile defendants in detention without their attorneys present. One boy spent the night at the judge’s house, and another had spent time with him at his vacation home. Little never denied any of the accusations of his contact with the juveniles outside of the court but claimed that he was merely trying to help them. No evidence of sexual contact ever surfaced, but one prosecutor noted that all of the young defendants were handsome, blond, and male, and that there was strong evidence suggesting that the youths who had spent the night with Judge Little had received reduced sentences. The investigators submitted a 107-page complaint with the Judicial Conduct Commission, which dismissed the case and ordered that the information remain confidential.

Eventually, in 1985, Judge Little was quietly removed from presiding over juvenile cases. Also that year, the first public mention of the subject was published in the Seattle Times. However, the reporter who wrote the article was soon pulled off the case, despite new evidence that came forth after its publication. The issue was once again swept under the rug, where it remained until 1988, when two reporters from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer resumed the investigation. Soon after these reporters obtained affidavits by five former students claiming that Little had used his position as a teacher to extract sexual favors from them, Little announced that he would not run for re-election.

On the night of August 18, 1988, Gary Little was found lying in a pool of blood outside his chambers–three floors below the jail cell where his father, Sterling Little, hanged himself in August 1947 after being arrested in a burglary investigation.

The Top Seven Kennedy Sex Scandals

As Ted Kennedy's malignant brain tumor became public knowledge, opponents, friends, and pundits rushed to laud his accomplishments. Serving in the Senate since 1962, Ted Kennedy has been one of our most accomplished legislators. He has a big heart, works hard, and is extremely knowledgeable about both legislative content and procedure. Sometimes Kennedy (as when he vehemently opposed entering the war in Iraq) seems like the only American politician who can speak his mind freely. His efforts on behalf of those without privilege or power—as in the case of health care—are especially important and admirable.

Little has been said about his prior legal, marital, and ethical lapses, on the other hand. These are typical omissions in polite society. (I wonder if supporters feel that if they don't remind God of his lapses, Kennedy is more likely to get into heaven.) However, as scientists of the mind, we at PT blogs are obligated to consider the entire range of human behavior. And the various Kennedys' sexual misdeeds are so notable that they raise—once again—the question of the relationship between power, recklessness, and sex.

Here, in reverse order of importance, are the top seven Kennedy sex scandals:

7. Joe Kennedy, son of Robert Kennedy and former Congressman, secretly had his 12-year marriage to Sheila Rauch annulled by the Vatican. Rauch only found out about the annulment years later, after Kennedy remarried. She wrote a very angry book about the experience, Shattered Faith, since the church's decreeing that the marriage never existed left her twin sons in everlasting limbo. Rauch pointed out that only powerful people like the Kennedys could unilaterally cancel 12 years of marriage. (This raises the question of whether the church can gain entry to heaven for powerful people who have sinned.)

6. One of the storied political couplings of the twentieth century was between Andrew Cuomo, son of former New York Governor Mario Cuomo, and Kerry Kennedy, daughter of Robert Kennedy. The younger Cuomo was forced to withdraw his own bid for the governorship (although he is now the governor of New York) in 2002 when it was revealed that his wife, to whom he had been married 13 years and with whom he had three daughters, had been having a long-term affair with a married man. Kerry Kennedy's philandering shows that Kennedy disregard for marital niceties extends to the distaff side of the family as well.

5. An extremely unappetizing Kennedy scandal involved Joe's brother and campaign manager, Michael. Like his brother and sister, Michael was stably married with children when it was revealed he had been having an affair with a family babysitter, beginning when the girl was 14! This, of course, is a crime that would get a non-Kennedy registered as a sexual predator. For some reason (perhaps bribery and threats to her and her family), the girl refused to press charges, and Kennedy entered treatment for sex and alcohol addiction. Michael Kennedy had been keeping an extremely low profile when he died in an accident on a family skiing trip.

4. All of these scandals concerned third-generation Kennedys. But the stories of sexual assaults, infidelity, and religious hypocrisy began with the family's patriarch, Joe Kennedy. In Swanson on Swanson, silent screen star Gloria Swanson revealed having an affair with Kennedy when, she claimed, he forced himself on her during his business trips to Hollywood when he left his saintly wife, Rose, at home in Massachusetts. (Swanson was most pissed off that, despite his legendary financial acumen, Joe lost a ton of her dough.) Other Kennedy family historians report that the elder Kennedy made advances on his sons' girlfriends!

3. Back to the younger Kennedys, in 1991 Kennedy nephew William Smith was charged with rape while staying with uncle Teddy in the family's seaside estate in Palm Beach, Florida. The woman claimed she met Smith at a night club at which he was accompanied by Ted Kennedy and his son, Patrick. Later, while ostensibly showing her around the estate, Smith began pursuing and pawing her as she tried to escape. Other women were found who described having similar experiences with the Kennedy nephew, but Smith was acquitted.


2. Both President Jack Kennedy—whose sexual escapades were legendary—and younger brother Bobby had closely contiguous sexual liaisons with Marilyn Monroe. Numerous conspiracy theories have been developed around the Kennedys' involvement in Monroe's death, which occurred in the aftermath of these affairs. At a minimum, the relationships were extremely damaging to Monroe's fragile mental health.

1. What could most interfere with Ted Kennedy's passage to heaven (as it frustrated his aspirations to be president) was his involvement in the death of Mary Jo Kopechne. Following a party with six young female campaign workers on the island of Chappaquiddick, Kennedy was giving Kopechne a ride back to her hotel when he drove off a bridge. Kopechne drowned in the car, and Kennedy left the scene to consult with Kennedy family advisers. In fact, he never reported the incident, which was discovered independently the next morning! Kennedy was charged only with leaving the scene of an accident.

Scandal hits £33k Catholic college of stars, amid suicide and 27yr ‘sex abuse’ cover up

NESTLED in a tranquil North Yorks valley, Ampleforth College is where for two ­centuries the sons of the wealthy have been instilled with a “compass for life” by the monks who run it.

The independent school charges more than £33,000 a year for this special recipe for learning.

And there seems no doubt that it works, with talented ex-pupils including former England rugby captain Lawrence Dallaglio, Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes and actors Rupert Everett and James Norton.

But now a darker side has been uncovered at the country’s leading Catholic school, ­following an investigation this week by The Times.

It involves the cover-up of alleged sex abuse of children at the school 27 years ago, which has been linked to the suicide of at least one former pupil.

A belated and flawed police investigation into those allegations, centred on one teacher, has left a number of former pupils denied justice, fellow ex-students have claimed.

And the inquiry may now be reopened as four new witnesses have come forward.

Paul Sheppard, a Canadian who taught science at Ampleforth for a single term in 1989, was last year found not guilty of indecently assaulting one boy during his brief stint at the school, which became mixed sex in 2002.

However, the investigation has revealed that the evidence of four other former pupils against Dr Sheppard was kept from jurors.

Related stories





Hancock shocker




It found that North Yorkshire Police failed to contact at least two other ­former pupils whose accounts would potentially have led to Dr Sheppard facing further questioning on child sex offence allegations.

And two more former pupils have now indicated they are willing to speak to police about alleged incidents in 1989.

The force indicated that the file on Dr Sheppard was closed but yesterday a spokeswoman said that the police would like to speak to the potential witnesses.

She added: “Anyone who has been the victim of abuse should come forward.”

And Ampleforth’s handling of the complaints about Dr Sheppard is also likely to be examined by the national inquiry into child abuse, chaired by Alexis Jay.

Old Amplefordian . . Lawrence Dallagio

In summer 1989 several boys from Junior House aged ten to 13 plucked up the courage to tell a member of staff about their science teacher’s alleged habit of touching them in an over-familiar way.When the then headmaster Father Dominic Milroy heard about it, he called 11 boys into his study, one after the other, to hear their claims about their 26-year-old teacher.

They described incidents — in the dormitory, the science lab, the infirmary and on a punishment run — in which the teacher stroked, hugged or kissed them.

But with the school’s reputation at stake, the police were not called in.

The school was established in 1802

Instead Dr Sheppard was summoned to the headmaster. He denied any wrongdoing, as he still does, but was told that in light of the boys’ complaints, the school “could not ­consider him ­staying” and that his contract would not be renewed. Even so he was given a glowing job reference and the matter was hushed up.But three years ago the accusations resurfaced when former pupil James Glynn took his own life after a troubled adulthood during which he had struggled to find work and been treated for drug addiction.

Before his death the 35-year-old, who had been a homesick 11-year-old boarder at Ampleforth in 1989, spent Christmas with his sister and told her of his unhappy school days.

He recalled how the monks and lay staff had offered him little ­comfort but there had been one teacher who he thought quite liked him and who he initially felt he could trust. But with tears rolling down his cheeks, he went on to tell his sister that the man had raped him, more than once.

Then he told his stunned sister the teacher’s name. Mr Glynn is said to have told the same story to his best friend before he killed himself.

At his funeral, some of his Ampleforth contemporaries heard of the rape allegations and told Mr Glynn’s family their own memories of the allegations which led to Dr Sheppard’s departure from the school. The family contacted North Yorkshire Police who later interviewed 11 former Ampleforth pupils. Eight described incidents of “inappropriate touching” by Dr Sheppard.

After Ampleforth he taught in the Dominican Republic, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Cameroon, China and Congo before becoming director of a Kuwait school, with no concerns raised about ­conduct at any of those schools.

But in 2014 when he flew to Britain for a holiday he was arrested at Heathrow and held on suspicion of serious sex offences against Mr Glynn. However the Crown Prosecution Service ruled that since the case was 25 years old and the sole witness was dead, there was no realistic prospect of conviction.

Even so, the prosecutors decided there was a case for Dr Sheppard to answer over the alleged ­incidents involving the few of Mr Glynn’s former classmates who police had interviewed, some of whom had been among the 11 boys who went to the headmaster in June 1989.

Dr Sheppard was charged with four counts of indecent assault against three boys, then further offences were added.

By the opening morning of his trial at York Crown Court last ­September, he faced seven indecent assault charges involving five ­former pupils. But before a jury was sworn in, the judge ruled that the physical contact alleged by four of the five ex-pupils did not meet the legal definition of indecent.

They included allegations that the teacher had stroked and kissed an 11-year-old as he slept, and pinned another 11-year-old to the ground by his wrists while straddling him.

That left just two charges involving one ex-pupil, to the surprise of police and prosecutors who had argued that a jury might have decided that each of the original charges involved indecent contact in the context of a teacher-pupil relationship.

The ex-pupils whose allegations were not put to the jury were assured by a police employee that they were not needed as witnesses because their written statements had been accepted unchallenged by the defence. That was untrue, and all four have been left feeling cheated of the chance to have their claims heard in court.

The one ex-pupil whose claims were put to the jury was not one of the 11 boys summoned to the headmaster in 1989, so his ­evidence to the jury was limited.

Dr Sheppard, who maintains he left Ampleforth of his own volition, was cleared of one charge and the judge directed the jurors to acquit him of the other offence.

The lone alleged victim told The Times: “I agreed to give the police a statement about what happened to me to support what I thought was a much bigger prosecution. Instead, I found myself in the ­witness box in a trial where the only charges related to me. I was told I mustn’t make any reference to the other complainants and was not allowed to say why Sheppard suddenly vanished from the school.

“It was so frustrating, because it must have looked to the jury as if I was jumping on the Jimmy Savile ­bandwagon.”

One former pupil has said: “The jury had to choose between the word of an experienced teacher and that of one former pupil. It was a travesty.”

The ex-pupils told The Times they accept that if a jury had heard all the facts they may still have cleared Dr Sheppard and in the absence of such proceedings he must be presumed innocent.

But they said they would at least have felt justice had been served.

An Ampleforth spokesman said: “Allegations made against Dr Sheppard were investigated by Father Dominic at the time. These investigations did not yield ­allegations of sexual impropriety.”

He said the decision for Dr Sheppard to leave was mutual and that Ampleforth co-operated with all authorities and is committed to ensuring the safety and welfare of pupils in its care.

A sordid list of attacks

AMPLEFORTH has repeatedly been troubled by sex abuse.

In 1987 Father GREGORY CARROLL confessed to ­abusing a Junior House pupil. The then head, Father Dominic ­Milroy, suspended him and transferred him to a ­parish in Workington, Cumbria – but there he sexually abused a nine-year-old altar boy.
In 2005 Carroll, 66, got four years’ jail after admitting 14 offences in the 1980s against at least ten pupils.
In 1990 FRANK HOPKINSON, 56, ex-head of the school’s finance department, was jailed for two-and-a-half years for sex offences against a boy of 14 who was not at Ampleforth.
In 1996 history teacher Father ­BERNARD GREEN, 43, was given 50 hours’ community service for indecent assault of a sleeping pupil of 13. In 2005 Father PIERS GRANT- FERRIS, 72, top left, got two years for 20 ­indecent assaults against 15 pupils at Ampleforth’s prep school.
Last year ex-English teacher DAVID LOWE, 61, above left, was jailed for ten years for 15 sex offences against ten boys aged from eight to 13.

Recalling the Hippie-rebellion era at Lakeside School

Two days before my 40th high school reunion this summer, I received a letter in the mail. It was from the Seattle law firm, Floyd, Pflueger & Ringer. I had never heard of them, but the neat buff-colored envelope made me nervous. Had I libeled someone? Was it family troubles? In my experience, good news rarely arrives from attorneys.

The letter was addressed to the Lakeside classes of 1971-75. "With regret, we inform you that Lakeside School was recently notified in December 2011 that a former faculty member. had an inappropriate relationship with a then 17 year-old male student in the 1970s." The letter went on to say that law enforcement had been notified, but no criminal action would be taken due to the statute of limitations. The school "nonetheless felt it prudent" to let former students and subsequent employers of the teacher know what happened and the teacher's "admitted behavior." The female teacher was named, the victim was not.

That certainly gave us something to talk about at the reunion. But it was not really that much of surprise. It seemed fitting that the scandal occurred in our era. Ours was a class that had been in the middle of another major sex scandal when a part-time Lakeside instructor and judge, Gary Little, was found to have preyed on some students and other juvenile males, including some who had been before him in court. On the eve of Little's exposure by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in August of 1988, he committed suicide at the courthouse. Some of his victims were in my class.

In the newly revealed incident, the school is aggressively dispelling any idea that such behavior would be shushed, ignored, or tolerated. Such was not the case with Little, whose serial predation was the stuff of gossip for years before the P-I developed its story. Sources included Lakeside teachers who wanted the well-connected Little investigated, but the story seemed too hot, or too hard to nail down. When it broke, the school distanced itself from the scandal.

Now we're in the post-Jerry Sandusky/Penn State era, when educational institutions are being scrutinized for how they've handled sex scandals. A recent example is the New York Times Magazine's story on New York's private Horace Mann School's "secret history of abuse" that took place back in the '70s and '80s. "Prep-school Predators," was the headline on a story that vigorously washed the dirty laundry.

One has to assume that there was damage done in the Lakeside case outlined in the recent letter, if for no other reason than the student came forward nearly 40 years after the fact. Victims of abuse have different experiences and timetables. Such delayed reporting is not unusual. The letter stated that the teacher involved had admitted the "behavior." The letter affirmed that the school has "zero tolerance" for past or present sexual misconduct. The mere existence of the letter suggests that pretty emphatically.

Still, as a bystander, one is left with the feeling of being given a glimpse of an incomplete picture. Were there more victims? More perpetrators? Was there a loss of institutional control, or is it explained by simply saying it was "the '70s?"

That period in Lakeside's history was a time of huge change within the institution. In the fall of 1971, the school had merged with St. Nicholas, an all-girls girl's school on Capitol Hill, and thus went co-ed. The last all-male senior class erected a gravestone to commemorate the event. In the '70s, the coat-and-tie dress code was abandoned, student government was abolished, and many senior privileges given up. The front door of Bliss Hall had been an entrance reserved exclusively for upperclassmen and faculty, but it became a democratic doorway to all classes. Even younger students took to smoking cigarettes in the "Senior Circle" with impunity.

The old-school traditions didn't simply drop away they were mowed down. Students in Robert Fulghum's art class were allowed to splash paint on the walls, a kind of psychedelic graffiti classes were taught in Guerilla Warfare and batik. Students and teachers had hair and lots of it. Drugs were common affluent kids could afford the best stuff. Even the nerds were hippies: Have you seen the old photos of the long-haired Paul Allen (class of '71) with sideburns and a Fu Manchu mustache? In 1972, a record (to that time) number of Lakeside grads did not immediately go on to college, a challenge to the whole notion of "prep" in prep school.

The school newspaper, The Tatler, was also in full rebellion. It was as if a student paper had mated with the National Lampoon and foreshadowed The Onion. There was satire, chaos, hoax stories, creative writing, occasionally a tidbit of news. I knew I had to work there when I saw a sports story headlined "Itchy Track Nuts." Clearly, adult supervision was lax, which was how we liked it. In 1972, even the freewheeling Tatler was a target of rebellion: The school also featured two "underground" student newspapers.

The Lakeside I attended was a '70s furry freak, not the school it was before — or after. When the Gary Little scandal broke in 1988, I returned to the school to do some reporting and quickly realized that there had been a return to basics: academics, tighter control, order. The faculty was on a tighter leash, former teachers told me. Less student-teacher fraternizing, no touching allowed. Some old-time teachers blamed the new uptightness on the school's being co-ed, or the Little legacy, or the Reagan era. The pre-60's and '70s rebellion school, while smaller and more intimate, had been very old school too. Hippie Lakeside wasn't the school of the future or the past, but an adolescent phase.

I have heard it said that my Lakeside class was a victim of the cultural collisions of the time. Authority was questioned, odd for a school that used to quietly boast in (to use Mitt Romney's phrase) "quiet rooms," of preparing Seattle's future leaders. It was an elite institution in a time when people were questioning the very notion of elitism. All the old ways were ripe for questioning and reinvention. We read Vonnegut and Brautigan along with Dostoyevsky and Hemingway. The teachers wanted to be cool too. Some Lakesiders I've talked with said they are not surprised by the contents of the lawyer letter, citing a looser, more sexualized atmosphere in the '70s. One thing didn't change: high academic standards. Even in batik.

It was also an era that many people quickly forgot, or wanted to. The school has evolved. It is more global, more serious, more diverse, and more famous due to alums like Allen and Bill Gates. The campus is now like that of a small university. Lakeside is a leader among prep schools nationally, no longer simply the place where a provincial city sent its sons. Students seem very, very directed. I wouldn't trade my time there for another, though I sometimes look at the current school with envy. The students and faculty seem to have such. clarity.

The lawyer's letter seemed a strong reminder to us students of another era. All should not be forgotten. Abuse of students by teachers is not unique to that time, nor has it been the norm in any era. But there are things, hard things, that need to be remembered and talked about sometimes — even 40 years after the fact.

That long ago time of questioning and rebellion, of rewriting the rules and expanding boundaries, carries a mixed legacy.

Lakeside seems to be saying that it's better to get bad news out than pretend it never happened. I agree. But I am left with the feeling that I've learned something and I don't quite know what to do with it. Filing it under "blast from the past" doesn't seem quite enough.

Detective, Who Exposed Elite Pedophile Ring, Found Dead

© press

A former police detective-turned-investigative author has been found dead, just days after publishing a book that exposed a high-level government pedophile ring.

58-year-old Mark Minne was found with a bullet to his head on August 14, but many people are refusing to believe the "official" police version - that he committed suicide at his friend's farm near the coastal city of Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Minne's family is claiming that he would never kill himself - a point he had brought up with them - and that he feared people were after him because he was about to expose even more elite pedophilia.

The highly-respected detective authored the controversial book "The Lost Boys of Bird Island" which was published on August 5th, 2018, and exposed shocking child abuse and corruption that he had witnessed whilst working on the police force.

After leaving law enforcement, Minne devoted his post-police life to exposing the government-orchestrated child trafficking he discovered while working as a detective but was previously blocked from investigating.

Minne, along with his good friend Chris Steyn, also a former cop turned investigative journalist, authored the book together to expose high-level government officials and powerful elites who took children to Bird Island where they were abused and murdered.

The level of involvement in the pedophile ring by the government was detailed in the book, along with reports on the abuse of the victims, alleged acts of murder to cover up the crimes, and the corruption and exploitation of high-level state resources by the network&rsquos members.

Nine days after Mark Minne exposed these crimes in his book, he was dead.

© press

The book details the corruption within the last Apartheid government of South Africa and implicated officials all the way to the top, including defense minister Magnus Malan and the minister of environmental affairs John Wiley.

Before his death, Minnie announced that he was approached by many more people with even more damning evidence which he planned to reveal in a sequel of the book. However, he died before he could finish it.

The book was published earlier this month on August 5 and only nine days later, Minnie would be found dead.

Officials claim they found a suicide note at the scene, but his family says they don&rsquot believe it at all.

Tersia Dodo, a family member of Minnie told reporters that just days before he died that if anything happened to him, they must know he was killed.

&ldquoHe mentioned to us all the time that his life was in danger and if anything did happen to him we must know that it was done to him, not by himself,&rdquo she said.

Dodo says Minnie was being watched and feared for his life because he had more information which would&rsquove exposed even more people.

&ldquoI knew about the book for many years and I knew what he had been through, it really played him that he had seen and been involved with the investigation surrounding the book,&rdquo Dodo told SABC.

Dodo came forward on her own after she saw the suicide narrative being played out in the media. She said she was compelled to do so, to dispel the myths.

&ldquoMark was not a coward, Mark faced life head-on,&rdquo she said.

"There is no ways that I or any of us believed that he would have opted out and that is why I agreed to do this interview to dispel any thoughts and rumors of suicide.

"He was not the type of man that was cowardly and that would do something like that.&rdquo

© press

As for the note police allegedly found next to Minnie&rsquos body, Dodo believes it is either fake or was written under duress.

&ldquoI have said this from the beginning, this supposed suicide note was either written under duress and I would like to see it before I will believe it was written by Mark,&rdquo she said.

This case is eerily similar to that of a man who was allegedly murdered in Lithuania after he began exposing high-level government pedophiles.

A teenage refugee from Lithuania came forward last year with a White House petition and a damning testimony showing what happened after his family tried to expose a little girl&rsquos abusers.

When his four-year-old cousin accused two high-level government officials&mdashdescribing it in heartbreaking detail&mdashKorolis Venckienė learned the hard way how the government protects its vilest members, up to and including using hundreds of militarized police and even murder.

As Venckienė explained in his petition on WhiteHouse.gov, this nightmare started when their family attempted to seek justice for the sick men who allegedly raped his four-year-old cousin.

&ldquoIn 2008, 4-year-old Deimante Kedyte described her sexual assault by high-level Lithuanian officials.

"Her testimony was later verified as true by separate commissions.

"She never had her day in court,&rdquo Venckienė wrote.

When the teen&rsquos uncle, Drasius Kedys, Deimante&rsquos father pushed for the men to be prosecuted for what they did to his daughter, he was murdered.

If Minnie was actually murdered, hopefully, the information he was planning on releasing still comes forward.

The only way to stop these vile actors is to shine light into the darkness.

While Minnie has been silenced, his work can live on to be that light.

[RELATED] FBI Agent, Who Exposed Hillary Clinton's Cover-Up, Found Dead

Facebook is heavily censoring information from independent sources.

To bypass internet censorship, connect with us directly by enabling our notifications (using the red subscription bell in the bottom right corner) or by subscribing to our free daily newsletter.

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.

Nine politicians who have been linked to sex scams

Days after a video of Hardik Patel, convener of Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti, in a compromising position with a woman surfaced, a case of sexual exploitation has been filed against him by some woman. The video had divided public opinion, with many supporting his right to privacy and others criticising him.

With these allegations and videos, Patel joins politicians who have seen their private sex lives being brought to the fore through leaked videos and through complaints of sexual exploitation. Here’s a look at nine such politicians whose political careers have been besmirched by sex scandals:

Oommen Chandy: Among the most high-profile leaders allegedly involved in the infamous solar scam that rocked the Kerala Congress, the former Kerala chief minister Oommen Chandy has been accused of receiving a bribe of Rs 2.16 crore for awarding subsidies, contracts and favours. According to a report tabled by the Solar Judicial Commission which had been set up to look into the scam, Chandy had also met Saritha S Nair, one of the directors of the solar company various times, and had allegedly received sexual gratification from her.

The solar scam involves a fraudulent solar company, Team Solar, which used two women to create links to influential political people in the state secretariat, reaching up to the Chief Minister’s Office, and cheating them to the tune of Rs 7 crore by offering to make them business partners. Chandy has claimed that the allegations are baseless, that he has not done anything wrong and that it is ‘political revenge’ by the Left Democratic Front government which is currently in power.

Abhishek Manu Singhvi: A more than 12-minute-long video which showed Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi in a compromising position with a lawyer in a Court Chamber room, went viral and was uploaded on several social media sites in 2012. It was alleged that Singhvi promised the lawyer that he would make her a judge in return for the sexual favour. Denying the accusations, Singhvi claimed that the video was a fabricated one. However, he had to resign as the Congress party’s official spokesperson. Singhvi returned to the Congress party as its spokesperson, in November 2012.

Sandeep Kumar: Former member of the Aam Aadmi Party, who served as minister of SC/ST welfare and Women and Child Welfare, Sandeep Kumar was sacked from the party on August 31, 2016, after a video which featured him in a compromising position with a woman, was aired by news channel ABP. The woman in the video filed a rape charge against the former minister after which he was remanded to 14 days judicial custody. Kumar claimed that he had been targeted because he is a Dalit.

The sex video, however, also managed to help Kumar secure his bail after the court watched it and came to the conclusion that ‘rape’ was not the only inference that could be drawn from it. In April, this year, Kumar sought a special court’s direction to the police to file a status report on the rape case against him, stating that he had suffered a lot due to the ‘inordinate’ and ‘unwarranted’ delay in filing a chargesheet. The court, however, dismissed his plea and asked the police and the investigating agency to expedite the case.

Raghavji Lakhamsi Savala: The former Madhya Pradesh Finance Minister, who was a veteran member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh and an MP, had to resign over allegations of sexually assaulting his male domestic help after promising him a permanent government job. After finding out that an FIR had been filed against him, he allegedly went missing. Raghavji was later arrested from a relative’s house in Bhopal after a thorough search.

Gopal Kanda: Businessman and former member of the Haryana legislative assembly, Gopal Kanda, was arrested in August 2012 after being accused of abetting the suicide of former air hostess of MDLR Airlines, Geetika Sharma. In a letter that she had written before committing suicide, Sharma had accused Kanda of sexually exploiting her, harassing her and of compelling her to end her life. She also accused him of having a relationship with another woman and having a child with her. Kanda was forced to resign from his post. He was arrested, but granted bail on March 4, 2014, after charges of sexual exploitation against him were dropped.

ND Tiwari: The veteran Congress leader, who has held several high posts in his life, including heading the Finance and External Affairs portfolios, apart from being the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, has had quite a scandalous history. In 2008, Rohit Shekhar Tiwari filed a paternity suit claiming that he was the biological son of Tiwari. Results of a DNA test which were released by the court in 2012 further proved that he was indeed Rohit’s father.

While serving as the Governor of Andhra Pradesh in 2009, Tiwari, who was 85 years old then, quit after a video featuring the leader in bed with three women, at the Raj Bhavan, was broadcast by Telugu channel ABN Andhra Jyothi.

Amarmani Tripathi: In a chilling event, a seven-month pregnant, 24-year-old woman was gunned down in her apartment in Lucknow on May 9, 2003. Investigations revealed that the woman, poetess Madhumati Shukla, was in a relationship with former Uttar Pradesh minister Amarmani Tripathi, and had refused to get her unborn child aborted. Tripathi then arranged to get her killed. Following an uproar, he was sacked from the then chief minister Mayawati’s Cabinet, and jailed for life.

PP Kunhalikutty: The Indian Union Muslim League leader was allegedly involved in a long-running sex scandal which rocked Kerala dating back to 1997. Named the ‘ice cream parlour case’, the scandal involved an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode which was found to be a facade for a sex racket. After his name was linked to the case, PP Kunhalikutty quit as the Kerala Industries Minister, though he never became an accused in the case.

Babulal Nagar: Former Dairy, Khadi and Rural Industries Minister in the Cabinet of Ashok Gehlot, former Rajasthan CM, Babulal Nagar resigned in September 2013, following allegations by a 35-year-old woman who stated that the minister had raped her after calling her to his official residence on the pretext of giving her a job. The former minister refuted the charges and called them politically motivated. In 2017, Nagar was cleared of all rape charges after the prosecution failed to prove the case against him beyond reasonable doubt.

[Original Content] The Franklin Scandal: A shocking investigation into the revealing of a massive elite child abuse ring centered in Franklin Nebraska. Despite overwhelming evidence and testimony, all publicly available information, the guilty were found innocent and the case was swept under the rug

“Homosexual Prostitution Inquiry Ensnares VIPs with Reagan, Bush”. This article was published in the Washington Times and was written by award-winning, Pulitzer Prize nominated journalist Paul Rodriguez. After years of research, Rodriguez had compiled the radical evidence necessary to publish such claims.

He had uncovered a homosexual prostitution ring tied to the White House. One central figure, Craig Spence, a Republican powerbroker, had the political clout to bring prostitutes on midnight tours of the White House. The report names multiple White House insiders, military personnel and members of major media institutions as clients, based on credit card records procured by Rodriguez.

“Among the client names contained in the vouchers – and identified by prostitutes and escort operators – are government officials, locally based US military officers, businessmen, lawyers, bankers, congressional aides and other professionals.
Although the confiscated material was turned over to District police on the scene, witnesses and law enforcement agents say the Secret Service kept one box containing names and other information about high-level government officials who were clients of the male escort business.
District police officials say that, to their knowledge, this is the first time the Secret Service has ever become involved in such a raid in this area.” – Washington Times

Craig Spence would throw extravagant parties for the Washington D.C. elite, with ⟊ll boys' freely available for interested party-goers. Various associates, including multiple of Spence's body guards, came forward and admitted that his house, where the parties were located, was thoroughly bugged with audio and video recording equipment, with the intent of extortion and blackmail of those who ended up in compromising positions.

Spence was somewhat of a mystery man. What type of employment did he have? No one knew for sure, though Spence himself would often boast of his important connections. One of his associates told the Times:

“He described Mr. Spence as 'strange', saying he often boasted that he was working for the CIA, and on one occasion said he was going to disappear for a while �use he had an important CIA assignment'. According to the businessman, Mr. Spence told him that the ɼIA might double-cross him', however, and kill him instead and then 'make it look like a suicide.'” – Washington Times

Indeed, Spence would die just months after the interview, of an apparent suicide, but not before admitting that his parties were bugged by friendly intelligence assets which he refused to name. The investigation by Paul Rodriguez and his associates would also screech to a halt after all of the evidence was either classified by the Secret Service or tied up in red tape. Someone in a high position of power clearly did not want the full extent of the revelations to become public.

Homosexual prostitution on its own isn't shocking, and depending on your conceptions of morality, no different than the heterosexual prostitution that is likewise rampant in Washington D.C. with the only tangible difference being the repercussions of entrapment (especially for Republicans). However, one particular part of the investigation leads us down a shocking rabbit hole:

“In addition to credit-card fraud, the investigation is said to be focused on illegal interstate prostitution, abduction and use of minors for sexual perversion, extortion**, larceny and related illicit drug trafficking and use by prostitutes and their clients.” –** Washington Times

In fact, the name Craig Spence would appear repeatedly in another major prostitution inquiry, this one centered around children, known today as the Franklin Scandal, one of the darkest stains in the history of the United States.

The story of the ɿranklin Scandal' begins with Lawrence E. King, one of the fastest rising Republican stars of the 1980's. He was a public figure in Franklin, Nebraska who ran the Franklin Federal Credit Union, along with a series of restaurants and bars. These various businesses apparently furnished King's lavish lifestyle of private jets, extravagant parties and an entourage of assistants and bodyguards.

Larry King, as he was known, was accused by seven children of child abuse and prostitution before he sang the National Anthem at the 1988 Republican National Convention. But despite various petitions to local police and the FBI, no official investigations were ever undertaken.

One of the allegations began from the serious abuse of children at the hands of Jarret and Barbara Webb, the former a member of the Franklin Credit Union board the latter a cousin of King, who adopted various foster children and would proceed to subject them to horrific physical, emotional and sexual abuse. The girls housed at the Webbs told of being taken to various parties in the Franklin area where Larry King and other important local figures sexually abused them. One of the girls, Eulice Washington, recalled being flown on King's private jets to be abused across the country.

“Among the first accusers was Eulice Washington, who claimed King flew her to out-of-state pedophilic orgies. She had been adopted by relatives of King's in the 1970s. Her new 'mother' was King's cousin Barbara Webb, and her new ⟺ther' was husband Jarrett Webb, who sat on the board of the Franklin Federal Credit Union. To Eulice Washington, King had been Uncle Larry. 'Larry King set up the pedophile ring,' says Eulice. ɿrom my knowledge and from what I saw go down, he was the man who got it moving and rolling. Everything went through him. He loves boys. He loves them like he shouldn't.'” – The Franklin Scandal: A Story of Powerbrokers, Child Abuse and Betrayal

Despite Eulice passing various lie detector tests, charges were never pressed against the Webbs. The Foster Care Review Board was the first organization to come across various cases of abuse, from Eulice Washington and others. They wrote numerous letters to Nebraska's Attorney General Robert Spire urging an investigation, but their pleas were ignored.

The FCRB testified to the State Legislature's Investigative Executive Review Board Subcommittee in 1988 that:

FCRB Chairman Dennis Carlson: The nature of these allegations are something that is going to shock the Committee. They deal with cult activities. they deal with sexual abuse, and there's a correlation between these two different reports. We have, the Boys' Town report. prepared by a worker from Boys' Town named Julie Walters. (which) contains the allegations of the children that were in the Webb foster home, Nelly primarily. Years later, well, two years later, we have Loretta Smith in Richard Young Hospital who's making allegations against Larry King, and as far as we know there is no relationship between Nelly and Loretta Smith. Both reports talk about the Omaha Girls Club, both reports mention a specific individual who is the superintendent of schools.

State Senator Remmers: The question that came into mind, it's been in my mind since you've been testifying, and I think you've answered part of it just now, is you're talking about these abuses from children from Boys' Town and Girls' Club and so forth. Now is there a common thread that goes over here to the Credit Union deal that we are investigating? In other words to the Franklin Credit Union? Is there a common thread there that kind of leads to that?

FCRB Member Carol Stitt: Well, the common thread is Larry King.

Remmers: Yes, that's what I mean. It all goes back to him? OK.

Stitt: Yes, he seems to be more the organizer, or the high-class pimp, I mean if that helps fit this together.

Larry King would also be linked to embezzlement before he sang the National Anthem at the 1988 Republican National Convention, but again avoided an investigation. The facade unraveled in November 1988, when an IRS investigation revealed that King had stolen over $40 million from the coffers of the Franklin Federal Credit Union. The financial corruption alone shocked the city, but soon reports started circulating that in addition to various fraudulent accounting documents, investigators found a huge stash of child pornography as well.

More rumors of sexual abuse began to arise, with multiple allegations that Larry King was using children from Boys Town, the nearby Catholic charitable institution for orphaned youth. His yellow sports car was notorious on the Boys Town campus, where he would drive around and pick up minors for his pedophilic activities. The Catholic management denied any connection to King, but financial records showed that Boys Town had a close-knit relationship to the Franklin Federal Credit Union. Federal and local authorities immediately moved to close the investigation and seal evidence, claiming that allegations of child abuse were unfounded.

The authorities backtracked and stated that they had done everything in their power to investigate these claims. Attorney General Robert Spire said: “We did receive some sensitive information in July. My office acted promptly and professionally and nothing was sat on.” However, it would later be revealed that no authorities ever interviewed Eulice Washington and other children noted by the FCRB until three years later, after they made their report public.

Despite this, Omaha Chief of Police Robert Wadman stated to the press that “Every step that should have been taken, was taken.” However, Wadman would later confess that he had never contacted Eulice Washington, one of the children abused at the hands of Webb, nor the Child Protective Services department that handled Washington's claims. Wadman would later be identified as a child abuser at King's parties by four different victims.

In an early police investigation, low level police officers attempted to keep their inquiries a secret from Wadman, seemingly knowing that he would be adamant about shutting down their investigation. Nebraska Foster Care Review Board official Dennis Carlson related Omaha Police Officer Carmean's testimony to the Legislature's Executive Board hearing:

“[Officer Carmean] told me some things which I found to be somewhat startling. I asked if he was interested in information regarding Larry King and he said, yes we are, we're conducting what he called a supersensitive investigation of Larry King and he said this investigation was so supersensitive that they were not even using the steno pool in the Omaha Police Department. They were handwriting their police reports, and he also told me that Chief Wadman had come to their unit and directly asked if they were investigating Larry King. Investigator Carmean told me, we lied to the Chief and we said, no, we are not investigating Larry King. That conversation took place on July 20th of 1988.”

Shortly afterward, Officer Carmean was transferred out of the Robbery and Sex unit and the investigation stalled. On July 5, 1989, in a lengthy "Inter-Office Communication" to Omaha Public Safety Director Pitmon Foxall (a cousin of Larry King), Wadman announced that Carmean needed a mental health evaluation.

Many were not convinced of the Police Department's conclusion that there was no substance to the abuse allegations, including a group of 12 State Senators who decided to create their own parallel commission to investigate the charges, lead by Senator Loran Schmit. Following the money trail, Schmit and his team quickly found that it could be traced directly to the sex parties and child abuse. It became clear to Schmit that he was uncovering some serious ɽirty laundry':

“I received a phone call on the floor of the legislature. The caller would not identify himself, but he said, Loren, you do not want to have an investigation of the Franklin Federal Credit Union, and I asked, who am I speaking to? And they said, that doesn't matter, but you shouldn't have that investigation. And I said, well, why not? And he said, it will reach to the highest levels of the republican party, and we're both good republicans.” – Loran Schmit

Schmit wasn't the only one to receive threats. The lead investigator of the State Senator's Committee, Gary Caradori, had also specified that he had received a series of threats, such as obvious tampering with his vehicle, as to send a message. In early July 1990, Caradori made a trip to Chicago to meet with a secret informant who had evidence which would ɻlow the lid' off the case, and reportedly confided to a friend that he was one step ahead of those who wanted to squash the investigation, saying that if 'they' knew what information he had, he would be killed.

Upon returning from Chicago, Caradori's plane crashed, killing him and his son. The National Transportation Safety Board investigation found that the wreckage was scattered over a radius between 3/4 to 1 mile, indicating without a doubt that the plane broke up in the air, instead of upon impact. Certain items were missing from the crash, most notably Caradori's briefcase. Within 24 hours, all of the evidence was collected by the FBI and sealed.

What information was so important that the pedophile network would kill the lead investigator in what looked like a blatant assassination? It turns out he was meeting with Russell 'Rusty' Nelson, a photographer for Larry King, who attended King's parties with the intention of photographing powerful men in compromising positions with minors, in order to blackmail them later.

Like Craig Spence, King was known to throw lavish parties for the Republican elite, with underage prostitutes allegedly in attendance. Rusty Nelson was in hiding for an entire decade after the Franklin Scandal broke, but ended his silence under oath during a court hearing in 1999, in order to 'set the record straight'. He revealed that he had a very close relationship with King and kept hundreds of thousands of photographs of King's business dealings and parties in various locations. Most of the evidence had been confiscated, and more had been destroyed in Gary Caradori's plane crash.

Rusty's testimony to the District Court was very interesting. Among other events, he revealed that he personally saw Larry King place a direct call to then-president Ronald Reagan when other associates could not resolve a specific problem. He also claimed to have seen and taken pictures of the Chief of Police of Omaha Robert Wadman at various parties, engaged in various sexual acts with minors, and had once seen Wadman accept a large envelope full of bearer bonds from King. While most of Rusty's evidence was confiscated, he was able to provide the court with photographs that corroborated his close relationship to King, such as photographs of King inside his private jet and limousine, and alongside male strippers.

The District Court hearing was not about Rusty Nelson, but rather for compensation for one of the victims, Paul Bonacci, who had first made accusations of abuse against Larry King in 1986, two years before there was even a Franklin Scandal. The testimony given was so convincing that the judge awarded Bonacci with $1 million. The plan was to donate the proceeds to charitable organizations dealing with child abuse, but King has never paid. Paul Bonacci suffered from Multiple Personality Disorder, a diagnosis confirmed by three different state-appointed psychiatrists, from extreme abuse he had received beginning at the age of 3. At the age of 8, he became associated with Larry King and began attending his parties as a child prostitute.

The type of abuse Bonacci underwent at the hands of Larry King is shocking:

Bonacci: “They put guns up to my head, they put guns in my mouth. Larry King sent out boys, men, to jump me, he had them pretty well beat the tar out of me from the waist down so no one would see the marks, i had my fingers broken. I can remember them burning me with hot instruments. placing stuff inside me. almost what I would call a cattle prod.”
Judge Urbom: “Done by Larry King at his direction?”
Bonacci: “At his direction. If they wanted to get something passed in the legislature, he would put some people that were against it in a compromising position, by using us boys and girls.”

One of the men in Washington that Paul Bonacci claimed abused him is Democratic Senator Barney Frank. Bonacci was also taken on the very same midnight tours of the White House hosted by Craig Spence that journalist Paul Rodriguez wrote about in the Washington Times, as a child. He claimed that immediately after the tours of the White House, he was taken to another place to be sexually abused.

Before his untimely death, Gary Caradori had compiled a leads list of 271 victims of sexual abuse in the Franklin area, though his death precluded interviewing most, and others recanted their stories under pressure from Federal authorities, often accompanied by the threat of jail time for perjury. Along with Paul Bonacci, the investigation proceeded with three other primary witnesses, Troy Boner, Danny King (no relation to Larry), and Alisha Owens.

Both Boner and Owens recounted tales, after passing multiple state-sponsored lie detector tests, of attending hundreds of parties hosted by Larry King where they were abused by King and other prominent men in Lincoln and Omaha. The three would repeatedly corroborate each other in interviews taken under oath by Gary Caradori, initially without knowledge of each others participation in the investigation. Most of the victims claimed that they were used to transport drugs across state lines, at the demand of Larry King and Alan Baer, a prominent Omaha millionaire.

Gary Caradori once followed a lead of Alisha Owens where she claimed that she was often abused at The French Café in Omaha. He talked to the former manager on the telephone, Sheila McGuire, who told Gary that:

“We had parties in my apartment above the French Cafe. Larry King would wine and dine potential investors downstairs at the Cafe. When the French Cafe closed about 1 AM, King and his man called Parking Lot Bob-who worked for him (and was our coke connection) - would bring people upstairs to my place. If Larry King investors wanted drugs, booze, children or hookers (male or female) weɽ get them. While these guests of Kings took their pleasures with the kids or whoever, King would sit and watch while he drank, did coke and played with his young boys.
One time, when this guy Irv from NYC wanted Sandra who was about 12 or 13 years old and getting her 1st period, Larry intervened when Sandra refused. King pulled out a roll of $100.00 bills and gave Sandra 5 of them. King then pulled out a small gram of coke and gave that to Sandra. Sandra finally agreed and went off to bed with Irv. King took good care of the local and out of town high rollers. If you had the money to invest at Franklin, King would cater to your most deranged perversion.
And, let me tell you another thing. The boys in the board rooms around Omaha are shitting in their Brogans. If this case gets cracked open the list of involved will read like Who's Who. King and his crew have ruined a lot of children's lives.”

What happened next is amazing. Instead of indictments of the accused perpetrators to develop cases against them, both Douglas County and Federal Grand Juries ordered the thousands of files to be sealed, declined to interview dozens of witnesses, and then brought charges of perjury against Alisha Owens.

Both Grand Juries concluded that Troy Boner and Alisha Owens had indeed been abused, but claimed that the adults they testified against were innocent! Alisha Owens was later found guilty of perjury, and sentenced to between 9 and 15 years. She ended up spending two years in solitary confinement, more than any other woman in Nebraska history, and a clear message to other victims: Stay silent.

"This is unprecedented, probably in the history of the United States. If the children are not telling the truth, particularly if they have been abused, they need help, medical attention. You don't throw them in jail!" – Dr. Judianne Densen-Gerber, a lawyer, psychiatrist and nationally prominent specialist on child abuse, during her visit to Nebraska in December 1990.

On the same day that Alisha Owens was convicted of perjury, the charges against Paul Bonacci, who told a very similar story, were dropped. Perhaps they did not want certain testimony to come to trial, such as Bonacci's claim that Larry King would send limousines to Offutt Air Force Base and pick up CIA agents for his parties.

The Grand Jury trial was a mockery of justice, where the state-appointed attorney Samuel Van Pelt vigorously attacked the charges and mocked the allegations of the defendants. It has to be noted that a Grand Jury is a special type of proceeding where the attorney chooses all of the witnesses and what evidence is presented there is no presentation of the defense or cross examination. A former Chief Judge of New York State once quipped that a special prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to "indict a ham sandwich."

There are shocking irregularities with the Grand Jury proceedings. First, it never called Larry King to testify. In fact, the evidence of child abuse and child pornography has never been presented against King in any court of law. One member of the Douglas County Grand Jury claimed that the Van Pelt helped write the final report, which is illegal.

The report contained some very peculiar statements, such as “children do have the right to expect that if they exhibit reasonable behavior, they will not be abused.” (Emphasis added). It also contained blatant lies, such as the claim that Paul Bonacci's doctor said that Bonacci was not capable of the truth, even though not only was the doctor not called to testify, he said elsewhere that he believed Bonacci's story.

Owen's attorney, Henry Rosenthal, found that the evidence shown to the Grand Jury was deliberately tampered with. The video testimony taken by Gary Caradori was edited to remove sections where Troy Boner and Alisha Owens corroborated each others claims. The lawyer representing originally Owens, Boner and (Danny) King originally claimed to have had over 100 clients who had suffered sexual abuse in relation to King and Boys Town, but then later claimed that their testimonies were all fabrications, only months before admitting she had an affair with an FBI agent who had bullied Troy Boner into temporarily recanting his testimony.

There is also the curious trend of upward mobility for a group of men who were instrumental in rigging the Grand Juries:

US Magistrate Richard Kopf, who deposited Lawrence King in a federal psychiatric hospital so he wouldn’t have to appear before the grand juries, and signed off on the FBI’s federal search warrant of Alisha Owen’s prison cell, is now a US District Court Judge.
2. Thomas Thalken, Assistant US Attorney for District of Nebraska, who prosecuted the federal grand jury in Nebraska is now a US Magistrate.
3. Gerald Moran, who was the Douglas County Deputy Attorney who prosecuted the Alisha Owen trial is now a Douglas County District Judge.
4. Robert Sigler, who was the Douglas County Deputy Attorney who prosecuted Alisha Owen throughout her multiple appeals, is now an Assistant US Attorney for the District of Nebraska

Troy Boner had recounted his testimony during this period, after receiving threats that he himself would become the victim of perjury charges. However, in 1993 he submitted an affidavit detailing his intimidation and stating unequivocally that his testimony as well as those of his peers were truthful.

“I lied because I truly believed and still do believe that it was a situation where I must either '. lie or die' and at the insistence primarily of the Federal Bureau of Investigation officials who were dealing with me at that time. ” – Troy Boner's Affidavit

Boner repeated the allegations that the Chief of Police Robert Wadmann and the Omaha Herald editor Harold Andersen were primary players in his abuse and the abuse of his peers. He recounts the various tactics the FBI used in his intimidation, including alluding to harm that may come about to a family member if he persisted in telling his story. Shortly after these threats, Troy's brother Shawn was found dead from a gunshot wound. The official story was a game of Russian Roulette. Troy cites this as a primary motivating factor in coming forward with the truth in his affidavit.

“But, maybe the most important thing any honest investigator should do is to ask me, Troy Boner, or any of the other kids such as Alisha or Paul Bonacci, to take polygraph, lie detector tests SIDE BY SIDE ON THE SAME QUESTIONS WITH THE PEOPLE WE ARE ACCUSING OF THESE THINGS. Example, ask Alan Baer if he shot mainline drugs into me and if he is a major drug dealer and if he had sex with me. Ask Eugene Mahoney if he met me at a bookstore in Council Bluffs and used to regularly pay me to have sex with him as a boy. Ask [redacted] to take a polygraph test on whether he is a big time drug dealer.” – Troy Boner's Affidavit (Emphasis retained)

The polygraph tests never happened. In 2004, Troy Boner entered an Omaha hospital visibly shaken and adamant that he was being targeted because of his testimony. The next day, he was found in a hospital room dead, drugged and beaten. The timing might be related to the reelection campaign of George W. Bush, who multiple victims claimed had attended Larry King's parties. Troy would round out a 'suspicious death' list that reached 15 names, including:

Troy Boner
2. Shawn Boner, Troy's brother, found shot in the head shortly after Troy was to testify before court. The official explanation of his death was ruled to be a game of 'Russian roulette'.
3. Bill Baker, associate of Larry King and alleged to be involved in the production of child pornography.
4. Gary Caradori and his eight year old son, Andrew, killed in a plane crash.
5. Newt Copple, a primary informant of Caradori, was 70 when he ɽied in his sleep' but exhibited no health problems before his death.
6. Clare Howard, the secretary of Alan Baer, the wealthy Omaha businessman who was alleged to be a prime member of the child abuse ring. Also ɽied in her sleep.'
7. Mike Lewis, former caregiver of victim-witness Loretta Smith. Death attributed to 'severe diabetic reaction' at the age of 32.
8. Joe Malek, associate of King, died from a gunshot which was ruled a suicide.
9. Aaron Owen, the brother of victim-witness Alisha Owen, died in his jail cell hours before Alisha was supposed to testify, ruled a suicide.
10. Charlie Rodgers, alleged sexual partner of Larry King, died of a shotgun wound to the head, ruled a suicide.
11. Bill Skoleski, Omaha police officer said to be secretly keeping a file on Larry King, died of a heart attack.
12. Kathleen Sorenson, foster parent of children who had escaped the Webb family, and outspoken activist on raising awareness of the abuse of the children she cared for.
13. Curtis Tucker, an associate of Larry King, who allegedly jumped out the window of a Holiday Inn in Omaha.
14. Harmon Tucker, a school superintendent in Omaha

In 1993, a television station in Yorkshire, England traveled to Franklin to uncover the truth about the tale of child abuse in Franklin, working in tandem with the Discovery Channel. It was called “Conspiracy of Silence” and the very day it was set to air, it was pulled. No explanation has ever been given, though there are rumors that an anonymous person paid the Discovery Channel $500,000 to revoke the television rights to the film.

It would only be unofficially released two years later, when someone who helped produce the video and felt it was so important it needed to be public, leaked a rough draft from the copy room to attorney and former State Senator John DeCamp. It is now available for viewing online.

Overall, eight high profile Omaha figures would be accused of sexual assault, with testimonies corroborated between victims. They were:

Larry King
2. Robert Wadman, Omaha Chief of Police
3. Harold Anderson, retired Editor of the Omaha World-Herald
4. Alan Baer, wealthy businessman
5. Deward Finch, Superintendent of schools.
6. Peter Citron, media personality
7. Judge Theodore Carson
8. PJ Morgan, Mayor of Omaha

Of these men, only one would be convicted of child abuse, Peter Citron, on an unrelated breakout of pedophilia claims which launched a separate investigation. Before the allegations leading to Citron's arrest broke, he was threatening to sue John DeCamp for naming him as a child abuser in a memo sent to the Omaha press.

How could such a massive and orchestrated coverup take place? It involved the FBI withholding all sensitive files, including explicit videos and pictures of the relationships between King and his associates and young children. It involved a campaign of denial by the Omaha Police Department, who's chief was a primary member of the child abuse ring, and a disinformation campaign by Nebraska's media, who also had important members implicated in the ring.

It involved zealous FBI agents who were self-expressed 'good friends' with Robert Wadman. And it involved a campaign of suspicious deaths designed to silence testimony. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it involved an American public unwilling to believe that powerful men could be implicated in child abuse, child prostitution and drug running.

Oakland police scandal: Suspicions of suicide, murder, underage sex

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf speaks during a press conference at Oakland City Hall in Oakland, Calif., on Friday, May 13, 2016. To the left is Oakland police Lt. Roland Holmgren, and to the right are Oakland police Chief Sean Whent and City Administrator Sabrina Landreth. An internal investigation has been launched and three Oakland police officers were placed on paid leave due to allegations of sexual misconduct. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

Oakland police Chief Sean Whent, right, listens as Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf speaks during a press conference at Oakland City Hall in Oakland, Calif., on Friday, May 13, 2016. An internal investigation has been launched and three Oakland police officers were placed on paid leave due to allegations of sexual misconduct. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

Brendon O'Brien is part of a group photo at the 166th Basic Academy graduation at the Scottish Rite Temple in Oakland, Calif., on Friday, March 22, 2013. (Laura A. Oda/Staff)

OAKLAND — Sex. Suicide. Murder? A sex scandal involving Oakland police officers and a young woman who touts her law enforcement liaisons on Facebook has all the makings of a TV thriller, full of twists and turns.

Three officers were placed on paid leave this week, months after Officer Brendan O’Brien committed suicide and left a note spilling the details — including names.

Adding to the intrigue, O’Brien’s wife, 29-year-old Irma Huerta Lopez, also committed suicide, on June 16, 2014, by shooting herself in the head with her husband’s gun.

Lopez’s death was briefly investigated as suspicious but then ruled a suicide, according to the Alameda County coroner. Not that it convinced her sister or her family, who blamed O’Brien.

“I always knew it,” Paulina Huerta said Friday. “It was not possible for my sister to kill herself. But we didn’t have proof.”

Top city officials on Friday confirmed the gun that killed Huerta Lopez was fired twice — one bullet hit the floor, the other struck her head — and both O’Brien and his wife tested positive for gunshot residue on their hands. According to the coroner’s report, the two had argued the night of the suicide, before he left the home and returned to find her dead.

Although police Chief Sean Whent and Lt. Roland Holmgren of the homicide unit said it is not uncommon for both of those things to happen, the city announced Friday that the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office has been called in to review both suicide investigations and the ongoing sexual misconduct investigation.

Whent said the investigations into the deaths were thorough, and evidence supports the suicide rulings in the case of O’Brien and his wife.

Mayor Libby Schaaf called for the district attorney investigations and said no DA employees who used to work for the police department will be a part of it.

“We as Oaklanders can expect to hold officers to the highest standards of conduct — again, both while they wear a uniform and when they do not. And that is a standard that we intend to enforce in the city of Oakland,” Schaaf said Friday, clearly angry.

Whent and Schaaf declined to discuss the sexual misconduct investigation. The exact allegations have not been released.

But a source said O’Brien in his suicide note confessed to exchanging messages with a young woman who goes by the name Celeste Guap but did not have sexual contact with her. In the note, O’Brien named the officers, including one sergeant, involved in the alleged sexual misconduct with Guap, who is the daughter of a Oakland police dispatcher. The police investigation will look at whether Guap was under age during some of the encounters with officers.

Attempts to reach the woman at the center of the scandal through a relative were not successful, but she has been posting about the allegations on Facebook, the same place sources said she has met multiple officers.

This week, she wrote, “the only officer I ever messed with underage is sadly gone now, so I don’t know why this is still being brought up.” In another of her posts in late April, there was a picture of an Oakland patrol car parked at gas station with a message: “took me back to Richmond in style #saucy.”

Sources and a coroner’s report said O’Brien’s life went into a downward spiral after his wife’s death. A U.S. Marine who served in Afghanistan, O’Brien was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and was distraught over his wife’s suicide before shooting himself, according to the report. He admitted in the suicide note that was drinking heavily and suffered from lingering suspicion that he might be involved in his wife’s death, despite being cleared, a source said.

“O’Brien did not have a history of suicide attempts, but according to the note of intent he left at the scene, he was suicidal and a series of events regarding his wife and work prompted him to commit suicide,” the coroner’s report said.

Calls and messages to the O’Brien family were not returned.

U.S. District Judge Thelton Henderson, who oversees the department’s court-mandated reforms stemming from the 1999 Riders police-brutality scandal, issued an order in March saying there were “irregularities” and “violations” of procedure in the handling of the sex allegations by police. The judge wrote that it raises concerns about the department’s “commitment to accountability and sustainability.”

Schaaf has asked the department to report to the DA’s office each time an officer is suspected of criminal misconduct. Whent, citing recent arrests of two officers while off-duty, said the department will review misconduct cases in recent years to look for patterns and see if leaders can prevent future cases.

“We want to ensure that all of our employees are of the highest moral character and conduct themselves professionally, not only while they’re on duty but off duty as well,” the chief said.

George Herbert Walker Bush (1924 &ndash ) served as Ronald Reagan&rsquos vice president, before succeeding him in the Oval Office, serving a single term as America&rsquos 41st president. Before that, his public service life included stints as a Congressman, an ambassador, and as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. Throughout his public career, few knew that Bush, whose campaign platform included a family values plank, and who had been endorsed by The Moral Majority, had kept mistresses.

Unlike some other presidents on this list, Bush was never a compulsive womanizer &ndash certainly nowhere close to the indiscriminate skirt chasing levels of a JFK or LBJ. Instead, Bush maintained a few discrete relationships, which his wife Barbara tolerated because he was the soul of discretion, never humiliated her, and usually carried on his affairs out of town so as not to jeopardize his marriage. But he did carry on affairs &ndash and they tended to be long term ones. An example would one he carried out with an Italian woman, whom he kept in a New York City apartment in the 1960s.

However, the keeping mistresses far away routine changed when he came across Jennifer Fitzgerald, a 42 year old short and pretty blond divorcee. She worked as a personal assistant to one of Gerald Ford&rsquos aides, and Bush was smitten when he met her. In 1974, Bush was appointed ambassador to China, and he arranged to have Fitzgerald join him there as his secretary.

Bush told friends that he chose Fitzgerald to act as a buffer between him and Henry Kissinger&rsquos State Department, but few bought it. As one embassy staffer put it: &ldquoI don&rsquot know what skills she brought to the job. She certainly couldn&rsquot type&ldquo. Fitzgerald arrived in Beijing on December 5th, 1974, and the following day, Bush took her for a 12 day &ldquodiplomatic conference&rdquo in Hawaii.

Unlike his previous affairs, which Barbara Bush had turned a blind eye to, the situation with Fitzgerald was way more than a dalliance. As described by a close family friend: &ldquoIt wasn&rsquot just another woman. It was a woman who came to exert enormous influence over George for many, many years. &hellip She became in essence his other wife &hellip his office wife&ldquo. Barbara ended up burning her love letters with Bush, which she had treasured since World War II, and went into a severe depression.

Bush did not stay in Beijing for long, and the following year, president Ford asked him to become his CIA Director. Bush accepted, but only on condition that he be allowed to bring Fitzgerald with him to the CIA as his confidential assistant. A memo in Ford&rsquos Presidential Library, dated November 23rd, 1975, states: &ldquoPlease advise me as soon as you have completed office space arrangements for George Bush and Miss Fitzgerald&ldquo.

Bush travelled around the world as head of the CIA, and took Fitzgerald with him, while Barbara Bush spiraled into a deep depression that brought her to the brink of suicide on multiple occasions. The affair continued, even as Bush indulged in other dalliances, such as an intense but brief affair with a young photographer during the 1980 presidential campaign.

When the Reagan-Bush ticket won in 1980, Fitzgerald was brought along as a member of the vice-presidential staff. Tongues wagged, but Bush was deaf to them, and he kept his mistress by his side during his 8 years as vice president. When he ran for president in 1988, Bush appointed Fitzgerald as his liaison to Congress, and upon winning the election, he made her his chief of protocol. The affair finally ended after The New York Post exposed it during Bush&rsquos failed 1992 reelection campaign.

  • Isaac Kappy, 42, has been confirmed as the man who jumped from the Transwestern Road bridge near Bellemont, Arizona on Monday
  • Upon landing on Interstate 40 Kappy was struck by a Ford pickup truck
  • Kappy had been in the public eye for allegedly choking Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris, last year, and accusing of Seth Green of being a pedophile
  • For confidential support in the US, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Links to additional resources are available in this article

Published: 23:35 BST, 14 May 2019 | Updated: 22:19 BST, 15 May 2019

'Thor' and 'Terminator: Salvation' actor Isaac Kappy has been confirmed as the man who jumped to his death from a bridge in Arizona on Monday, according to TMZ.

Officials confirmed on Tuesday that Kappy, 42, was struck by a Ford pickup truck after hurling himself from the Transwestern Road bridge onto Interstate 40, where he died, according a statement from Bart Graves, a spokesperson for the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

In the 24 hours leading up to his death, Kappy posted a long statement on Instagram where he wrote, 'I have not been a good guy,' and 'I have been abusive to people who loved me.'

The self-admitted drug user made headlines in 2018 for allegedly assaulting Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris, by choking her 'during a game night party.'

The native Angeleno has also publicly accused Seth Green of being a pedophile.

Thor and Terminator: Salvation actor Isaac Kappy, 42, jumped to his death on Monday, according to TMZ. Seen here in 2012

Isaac Kappy (pictured with Chris Hemsworth in Thor) reportedly jumped to his death on Monday from the Transwestern Road bridge onto Interstate 40 in Arizona

Arizona state troopers were called to the scene at 7.26am Mountain on Monday, and Kappy was found deceased upon their arrival, Graves' statement said.

Before the Beerfest actor died, 'several bystanders tried physically restraining Kappy from jumping but failed to hold him,' TMZ reported.

No one else was reported injured in the incident, and the investigation has officially been closed.

Kappy's Instagram post on Sunday was captioned, 'Beware the man has nothing to lose, for he has nothing to protect.'

In the message posted as a screenshot of text he wrote, 'Over the course of the last week, through introspection that should have happened MANY years ago, I have come to some stark revelations about my character. It is a testament to my utter ignorance that these revelations had not come sooner.

'You see, I believed myself to be a good guy. I HAVE NOT been a good guy. In fact, I have been a pretty bad guy throughout my life.'

Kappy penned a scathing assessment of his own character, writing, I have used people for money. I have betrayed MANY people and much trust. I have sold drugs. I have tax delinquencies. I have debts. I have abused my body with cigarettes, drugs and alcohol.'

The native Angeleno was also accused of assault against Michael Jackson's daughter, after 'allegedly choked [Paris] during a game night party' last year, claimed the gossip site. Paris seen here in February 2019

Officials confirmed on Tuesday that Kappy, 42, was struck by a Ford pickup truck after hurling himself from the Transwestern Road bridge (shown) onto Interstate 40, where he died, according a statement from Bart Graves with the Arizona Department of Public Safety

Throughout the message, Kappy mentioned 'the Q movement' and said 'I am so so sorry to have brought shame upon the greatest military operation of all time.

Kappy referenced suicide in a metaphor, as well, writing, 'Q says they give people enough rope to hang themselves, and I have hung myself.'

He also claimed to have 'betrayed' Donald Trump and Jesus Christ in the missive, referencing death again.

'I have told people in the Trump administration that I am willing to admit to my many crimes in a public setting, and committed to execution, in a public setting,' Kappy wrote. 'A nation cannot suffer its traitors, and I am no exception.'

Isaac Kappy alongside Christian Bale in Terminator: Salvation. Several bystanders reportedly tried to restrain him from leaping from the Arizona bridge

Taking to the social media site on Monday, Kappy wrote a scathing assessment of his own character, which included the words, 'I HAVE NOT been a good guy'

Kappy was reportedly being investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department for threatening Paris Jackson , and other celebrities.

According to TMZ, Kappy allegedly choked Paris during a game night party.

This might have been referenced in his farewell message, as well, where he wrote, 'I have been abusive to people WHO LOVED ME, including my FAMILY.

'To the many people I have acted abusively towards, I am very, very sorry. To my former friends I have used and betrayed, I am sorry.'

The 21-year-old model had allegedly received 'rambling and scary' texts from her former pal. Sources claim she initially responded to them to help him because she though he was suicidal at that time, as well.

She was later forced to move home and hire extra bodyguards, along with blocking Kappy's number.

Police opened an investigation into the actor after seeing a particularly menacing tweet from Kappy on August 1 that read: 'In light of the interesting traffic happening around my house I want to make something CRYSTAL CLEAR: While I am a VERY strong advocate of peaceful disclosure, make no mistake, assets are in place and if you kill me or even try, it will rain .50 cals in the Hollywood Hills.'

Isaac Kappy is seen here in the 2011 Marvel film Thor, in which he played a pet store clerk called Kyle

Kappy made threats and allegations in a video rant about Seth Green (pictured). He is seen here attending the unveiling of Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane's Hollywood Walk of Fame Star last month

In a 2018 video, Kappy also alleged Austin Powers actor Seth Green was 'a pedophile'. He's seen here with Vanderpump Rules star Tom Sandoval in 2015

Per his Twitter account, Kappy appeared to be on a crusade to take down people he believes are sexually abusing children.

He wrote in his post on Sunday, 'While it's true I have spent many, many hours of research and disseminating information about bad actors, I have had SO LITTLE CARE for introspection about MY OWN actions.

'And while it's true I have outed many pedophiles that were former FRIENDS, I remained in their sphere for much longer than I should have, and attempted to gain from them AFTER I knew about their actions. And in my SHEER ARROGANCE I did not even reflect on this fact.'

His timeline is full of retweeted news stories about pedophiles and rants about high-profile people accused of sex crimes and some who aren't. He accused Green of being a pedophile in a video posted in July.

Kappy had also, according to his Twitter, tried to reach out to Corey Feldman to take on pedophilia together. Corey blocked him on Twitter and did not respond.

Sex, lies and spies: the real history of the Profumo Affair

Amongst the stack of black-and-white press photos that document the Profumo Affair – the sex and spies scandal that shook up the 1960s – there are lots of well-thumbed shots of the affair’s ‘It’ girls, Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies. With their bouffant hairdos, neat twin-sets and feline-flicked eyes, they make the whole thing seem unutterably glamorous. Then there are the snaps of disgraced minister, John Profumo, once a rising star of the Conservative government, looking suitably humiliated as he drives away from Parliament and out of politics.

There is also a haunting image of Stephen Ward – the man at the centre of it all and the only person who didn’t survive it – that reveals both the scale of his personal downfall and the really dark heart of this scandal. The gifted osteopath, who once counted the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and Frank Sinatra amongst his glittering clientele, lies comatose on a stretcher. Ward was the scapegoat for everyone’s bad behaviour and he paid for it with his life. Three days after the picture was taken, he was dead.

The real history behind The trial of Christine Keeler

Want to know even more about the real events from history that inspired the 2019 drama? Read more…

Who was Christine Keeler?

Rewind two years. It’s 1961 and National Service has been abolished, John F Kennedy has been sworn in as the youngest-ever elected president of the United States, betting shops are legal, and Elvis and the Everly Brothers top the charts. The British are finally stepping out of the shadow of World War II – life is for living, opportunities are there for the taking and things are on the up.

London is a hub for happening people, and glamour, quick wits and sheer pluck can get you far. Creative types and chancers are descending on the capital, post-war migration from the Commonwealth is lighting up popular culture, and the ‘in crowd’ is an eclectic blend of the well-heeled and working-class movers and shakers.

In an upstairs flat at 17 Wimpole Mews in Marylebone, Stephen Ward is with his latest protégée – 19-year-old Christine Keeler. Ward had ‘discovered’ her two years earlier, working as a showgirl in Murray’s Cabaret Club in Soho. Soon she was living with him and – revealing an unseemly delight for setting up liaisons between ‘alley cats’ and ‘aristos’ – Ward introduced her to his party-loving chums. Ward knew everyone and where the action could be found. His nickname was ‘The Fixer’.

Yet while London’s social scene was hotting up, the Cold War – an international power struggle of capitalism versus communism – was sending a chill through British politics. In May 1961, ten years after the defection of suspected spies Burgess and Maclean to Russia, MI6 mole George Blake was charged with passing top-secret documents to Moscow and sentenced to 42 years in prison. Politics was awash with intelligence and counter-intelligence, nobody was above suspicion and anyone could be a spy.

Who’s who in the Profumo scandal

John ‘Jack’ Profumo

The Secretary of State for War at the time of the scandal that took his name, John Profumo resigned from the cabinet in June 1963. He subsequently devoted himself to Toynbee Hall, a charitable organisation in the East End of London that supports communities in poverty. He began by washing dishes, helping with the playgroup and collecting rents. Later, he served with the charity’s council, then eventually president. His reputation redeemed in the eyes of many, he was awarded the CBE in 1975 and sat next to the Queen at Margaret Thatcher’s 70th birthday party. He continued as a volunteer at Toynbee Hall until his death, aged 91, in 2006.

Stephen Ward

Ward’s successful osteopathy practice and sideline as a portrait artist made him many important friends, including Lord Astor, Yevgeny Ivanov and John Profumo. The security services MI5 and MI6 used Ward to supply information on his society contacts and he knew of their attempt to persuade Russian naval attaché Yevgeny Ivanov to become a double agent.

Christine Keeler

Keeler grew up in a converted railway carriage in Berkshire. In her teens she moved to London where she was ‘discovered’ by Stephen Ward. Her relationships with a Tory minister and a Soviet diplomat made her a household name. Just months after Profumo’s resignation, Keeler was jailed for lying under oath at the trial of Lucky Gordon. After her release in 1964, she bought a house in Marylebone with money she received from the now-defunct News of the Worldnewspaper.

Mandy Rice-Davies

Solihull-raised Rice-Davies was just 16 when she met Keeler at Murray’s Cabaret Club. Keeler introduced her to Ward and Ward introduced her to his friends. She never met John Profumo, but was called as a witness at Ward’s trial. In 2013, along with two of Britain’s most senior lawyers, Rice-Davies called for the guilty verdict of Stephen Ward to be overturned.

Lord Astor

It was at Lord ‘Bill’ Astor’s family estate, Cliveden, that Profumo and Keeler first met. During Ward’s trial, when Astor denied a liaison with Mandy Rice-Davies, she famously quipped: “Well, he would, wouldn’t he?”

Yevgeny Ivanov

Russian naval attaché, Yevgeny Ivanov regularly met up with Keeler at the same time as she was seeing Profumo. He was targeted by MI5, who wanted to persuade him to become a double agent. Before the scandal broke, he was recalled to Moscow.

Aloysius ‘Lucky’ Gordon

Aloysius ‘Lucky’ Gordon, a British-based Jamaican jazz singer, was involved with Keeler while she was seeing Johnny Edgecombe. In June 1963, Gordon was jailed for assaulting Keeler. She was later charged with perjury.

Johnny Edgecombe

Antiguan-born dope-dealer Johnny Edgecombe fired the gunshots at Stephen Ward’s home, which led to the scandalous revelations that became known as the Profumo Affair.

What was the Profumo Affair?

The portentous event took place at Cliveden House, an ostentatious country pile in Taplow, Buckinghamshire, owned by Lord ‘Bill’ Astor. Those present included Stephen Ward, osteopath to the wealthy and well connected, Yevgeny Ivanov, a Soviet naval attaché and, most notably, Conservative cabinet minister John ‘Jack’ Profumo and teenage showgirl Christine Keeler.

Whether anybody thought to remember that one sultry summer’s evening in July 1961 is a matter of supposition. Was it by accident or design that the politician and the party girl first came across each other? Could anyone have predicted that this brief encounter would have such far-reaching repercussions that would shake the establishment to its core?

In The Spectator in 2014, Lord Astor’s son, William, recalled the fateful meeting at Cliveden following a dinner party.

“Laughter was heard coming from the pool and some of the dinner guests drifted across the garden to see what the commotion was about,” he writes, adding that it was there that “two worlds collided”.

“First into the walled garden was Valerie Profumo, who anxiously covered up a topless Christine Keeler with a towel before the other guests arrived,” he continued. “But Christine had already been spotted by Jack Profumo.”

That Keeler was at Cliveden was down to Ward, who lived in one of the estate’s cottages and had asked to make use of the pool after all the dinner guests had headed inside. Profumo was smitten and, spurred on by Ward, he and Keeler embarked on a short-lived affair until he ended it. And that was that. However, what prevented this tawdry tale from being brushed under the carpet was the fact that Profumo was the Secretary of State for War and Keeler was also involved with Soviet naval attaché Yevgeny Ivanov.

There were whispers of pillow talk – had Keeler extracted secrets from the Secretary of State for War and passed them on to a Russian spy? The rumours reached Fleet Street but, thanks to the (then) British tradition of respecting the private lives of British politicians, the affair didn’t make the papers. All was well until an incident at Stephen Ward’s flat five months later blew any hopes of a cover-up out the water.

How was John Profumo caught?

Post-Profumo, Keeler hooked up with several men including Jamaican singer Aloysius ‘Lucky’ Gordon and Antiguan-born Johnny Edgecombe. While neither of these men had any direct connection to the scandal their involvement with Keeler – which included Gordon holding her hostage for two days while wielding an axe, and Edgecombe then slashing Gordon’s face with a knife – led to the affair becoming public knowledge.

Following the knife incident, Edgecombe asked Keeler to get him a solicitor so he could hand himself in to police before Gordon sought revenge. Keeler, allegedly jealous that Edgecombe had taken another lover, refused to help him and even said she planned to give evidence against him in court.

Edgecombe was incandescent and Keeler sought sanctuary at Ward’s flat in Wimpole Mews. At lunchtime on 14 December 1962, Edgecombe leapt out of a minicab clutching a pistol, shouting for Christine. When Keeler, who was holed up with her friend Mandy Rice-Davies, refused to let him in, he fired a volley of shots at the front door.

No one was hurt and Edgecombe was arrested, which was hardly stop-the-press news. However, this was what the papers had been waiting for. The incident provided an opportunity for Fleet Street’s finest to dig deeper into those Profumo-Keeler-Ivanov rumours and, the following day, Edgecombe’s appearance in court made the front page of The Telegraph. At his Old Bailey trial three months later, Edgecombe was acquitted of assaulting Gordon, but jailed for seven years for possessing a firearm. Keeler didn’t show up, stoking press interest anew.

Over in the House of Commons, Labour MP George Wigg, in an obvious swipe at the Tories, forced Profumo’s hand. He raised the issue of the rumours surrounding Profumo’s relationship with Keeler. Not, he claimed, to embarrass the Secretary of State for War, but because the Ivanov connection was a matter of national security. Profumo told Parliament that he knew Keeler but vehemently denied that there was any “impropriety” in their relationship.

His convincing denial diffused the situation – for a while, but the press refused to let it lie. Reporters dusted off their wallets and people started talking. Mandy Rice-Davies let slip that Keeler had had sexual relationships with Profumo and Ivanov, prompting Keeler to confess that she had indeed dated both men. What had been cocktail-party gossip had grown into a scandal of mammoth proportions.

When did Profumo resign?

Profumo was forced to admit to Parliament that Keeler had been his mistress and that he had lied to the Commons. Sex, lies and Soviets? This was the stuff that could topple a government. He had to resign, which he did on 4 June 1963.

The pressure was now on the Prime Minister, Harold Macmillan. He refused to quit but, realising he had to do something, he called on respected English lawyer and judge Lord Denning to lead an inquiry into the “circumstances leading to the resignation of the former Secretary of State for War, Mr J D Profumo”.

Denning concluded that there had been no breaches of security arising from the Ivanov connection and the primary responsibility for the scandal was with Profumo for giving a false statement in the House of Commons. The report, published in September 1963, was criticised as a ‘whitewash’, but it enabled Macmillan to hang on as Prime Minister.

What happened to Stephen Ward?

The biggest scandal of the whole affair was Stephen Ward’s trial. Arrested days after Profumo’s resignation, he was brought before the Old Bailey on charges of procuring women and living off immoral earnings.

The son of a vicar and former tea salesman may have been a social climber and sexual voyeur, but he wasn’t a pimp. Keeler and Rice-Davies were party girls who wouldn’t turn down a gift from a grateful admirer, but they weren’t prostitutes. The premise of the trial was a farce, but it didn’t bother the prosecution.

In court, Keeler affirmed she had sex with John Profumo and two other men, who had each given her money and gifts. During cross-examination she confessed that some of this cash was paid to Ward for rent, electricity and food while living at his flat. Rice-Davies (who’d been arrested by a corrupt Scotland Yard officer and was told she’d only be let out of Holloway prison if she agreed to testify) also admitted receiving gifts and money – some of which she gave to Ward for unpaid rent.

This ‘evidence’ was all the prosecution needed and Ward’s defence lawyer – a jovial man called James Burge, who was one of Ward’s patients – was out of his league. Prosecutor Mervyn Griffith-Jones had established that Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies had taken money after having sex and had both given some of it to Ward. It was enough for a conviction.

Ward’s high society ‘friends’ stayed well away, fearful of being tainted by the scandal. Not one of them came to testify in his favour – something that the judge, Archie Pellow Marshall, picked up on. In his summing up he said: “If Stephen Ward was telling the truth in the witness box, there are in this city many witnesses of high estate and low who could have come and testified in support of his evidence.”

Ward returned to a friend’s flat, took some sleeping pills, and wrote notes to his closest friends. In one he penned: “It is really more than I can stand – the horror, day after day at the court and in the streets. It is not only fear, it is a wish not to let them get me. I would rather get myself. I do hope I have not let people down too much.”

He was in a coma when the court found him guilty, and he died in hospital before the sentence could be passed. Ward, once a favourite of London’s fashionable society, had only six mourners at his funeral. By his grave lay a wreath of one hundred white carnations. A card, signed by the critic and writer Kenneth Tynan, simply said: “To Stephen Ward, Victim of Hypocrisy”.

The political fallout of Profumo

Prior to the Profumo Affair, the Conservative Party had been steadily declining in popularity. Between 1957 and 1963, Harold Macmillan transformed from a confident premier, running a country where Britons had “never had it so good”, to a prime minister under pressure.

In July 1962, Macmillan sacked seven ministers, in what became known as the ‘Night of the Long Knives’. This ploy to boost the party’s popularity didn’t work and there was more bad news when Britain’s application to join the Common Market was rejected by France, dashing hopes for economic growth.

For the Macmillan regime, the timing of the Profumo affair couldn’t have been worse. Sleaze delivered the final blow for a government seen as outdated, incompetent and out of step with the public mood. In October 1963, Macmillan, who had hoped to lead the Tories into the next election, resigned due to ill health.

He was replaced by the aristocratic Alec Douglas-Home, which was a gift for the opposition. The Labour Party pitched Harold Wilson as a ‘man of the people’ and in the 1964 General Election the old order was out, Wilson was in Number 10 and a new era of politics had begun.

Anna Harris is a freelance journalist

For more history behind the drama, visit our page on the Profumo Affair.


  1. Arthur

    There are other drawbacks

  2. Muhn

    This is your opinion

  3. Roosevelt

    Granted, that's a remarkable answer

  4. Rakanja

    I do not know what to say

  5. Laomedon

    I am am excited too with this question.

  6. Goshakar

    In my opinion, he is wrong. I'm sure. Let us try to discuss this. Write to me in PM, speak.

Write a message