We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Andrew Watson was born in Georgetown, British Guiana in 1857. He was the son of a Scottish sugar planter Peter Miller and a local girl Rose Watson.
Andrew was sent to England to be educated at Halifax Grammar School and Rugby College before enrolling at Glasgow University in 1875 to study Philosophy, Mathematics and Civil Engineering.
He also played football for local side Parkgrove. Andrew Watson was a talented player and after marrying Jessie Maxwell in Glasgow he joined Queen's Park, at the time, the best club in Scotland. He also became club secretary and led his team to several Scottish Cup wins.
On 12th March 1881 Watson won his first international cap when he played as right-back for Scotland against England. He was captain and led his country to a 6-1 victory. Two days later he played in the team that beat Wales 5-1. The following year he won his third cap when Scotland beat England 5-1.
Watson sacrificed his international career when he moved to England in 1882. The Scottish Football Association refused to select men who played football outside Scotland. Watson joined London Swifts and in 1882 he became the first black man to play in the FA Cup. In 1884 he joined the elite amateur club, Corinthians.
Watson moved to Liverpool and played for Bootle while working in the engineering industry. Later he returned to Glasgow and played once more for Queen's Park.
Andrew Watson moved to Bombay, India, and is believed to have died in around 1902.
FACT CHECK: Was Queen Elizabeth Found Guilty In The Disappearance Of 10 Canadian Children?
An article shared on Facebook more than 400 times claimed Queen Elizabeth II was found guilty in connection to the disappearance of 10 Canadian children.
There is no evidence to support the claim. The organizations mentioned in the article have been linked to conspiracy theories in the past.
The article, published by the website NBCM News, alleges that the queen and husband Prince Philip were found guilty in 2013 by &ldquosix judges of the International Common Law Court of Justice&rdquo in the Belgian capital of Brussels.
&ldquoAfter nearly a year of litigation, Queen Elizabeth and her husband, Prince Phillip, were found guilty in the disappearance of ten native children from the Catholic-run Kamloops residential school in British Columbia,&rdquo the article alleged. &ldquoGrieving parents haven&rsquot seen their children since they left for a picnic with the Royal couple on Oct. 10 1964.&rdquo
But there is no truth to the article&rsquos claim. The British royal family often makes headlines. If the queen had been found guilty of such a crime, it would have been picked up by major news outlets, yet none have reported on it, and Buckingham Palace has not issued a press release.
Closer examination of the article reveals other red flags that add to its dubiousness. The two organizations, the &ldquoInternational Common Law Court of Justice&rdquo and the &ldquoInternational Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State,&rdquo are not legally recognized governing bodies. Both are linked to the Canadian conspiracy theorist Kevin Annett, according to Snopes.
This isn&rsquot the first time the two organizations have appeared in conspiracy theories. (RELATED: Did Buckingham Palace Confirm Queen Elizabeth Tested Positive For Coronavirus?)
In 2015, Snopes debunked a claim that the &ldquoInternational Common Law Court of Justice&rdquo helped uncover the involvement of European royalty in &ldquohuman hunting parties.&rdquo The other organization started a now-debunked 2013 rumor that Pope Benedict XVI resigned because of his &ldquocomplicity in concealing child trafficking in his church and other crimes against humanity,&rdquo according to Snopes.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected] .
Explore The Governor's Mansion
Perhaps no other residence in America but the White House has been the setting for as many historic aspirations and accomplishments. While living in the Executive Mansion, each governor has had his own style and created his own traditions, leaving a legacy that becomes part of the unique story of this historic house.
Originally built in 1856, the Executive Mansion reflects the many different styles of the last half of the 19th century. The first house on this site was a simple Italianate structure that was renovated in the in 1860’s into a home with elaborate Second Empire details. As years passed, tastes changed and families grew, the Executive Mansion evolved from a simple two-story house into the picturesque Queen Anne style building it is today. In 1971 the Executive Mansion and its grounds earned a place on the National Historic Register.
Prior to 1877 Governors of New York did not have an official residence in Albany. Governor Samuel J. Tilden rented the Executive Mansion for two years, and then Governor Lucius Robinson convinced the Legislature to buy the house for $45,000.00.
Beginning in 1983, First Lady Mrs. Matilda Cuomo undertook to preserve the historic nature of the house. Mrs. Cuomo oversaw the restoration of the nearly the entire first and second floors with the help of private funding. Much of this significant contribution to the Executive Mansion’s history is visible today.
Historic Items Collected Through the Years:
Many books, kitchen utensils, decorative objects and some furniture were included in the original sale of the home in 1877. Some of these pieces are still there, including a beautiful suite of Renaissance Revival furniture in the Reception Hall, a Renaissance Revival Dining Room table and chairs, and several small classical sculptures.
A set of Tiffany sterling silver inscribed with the New York State seal was purchased in 1912. The trumpet vases, epergne and footed platters are still in use today.
Greening the Mansion:
The "Greening the Mansion" program was initiated in 2007.
It is an ongoing project at the Executive Mansion to:
- Reduce energy usage
- Transition the building to clean, renewable energy resources
- To develop sustainable practices in maintaining the grounds and operations.
“Greening the Mansion” honors historic preservation guidelines consistent with the Executive Mansion’s status as an historic landmark. It also serves as a model for all New York homeowners as it promotes healthy buildings and environmental sustainability, while cutting electrical energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
On April 23, 209 the Executive Mansion was awarded LEED Gold Certification, the first by an existing building in New York State.
History of the Mansion Neighborhood:
Situated between Eagle Street and Trinity Place, was well outside Albany’s original 1624 Dutch enclave. For the first two hundred years of European settlement, the area was surrounded by creeks that ran to the Hudson River from the west and was home only to a few large estates and scattered farms. However, the completion of the Erie Canal in 1825 caused Albany to grow by leaps and bounds and the Mansion area developed into a residential neighborhood. As the city turned into a railroad and industrial center, the neighborhood became a mixed residential area of merchants and industrialists as well as workers and the new middle class.
As massive numbers of European immigrants poured into Albany, many found homes in the Mansion Neighborhood. First settled in the early-nineteenth century by the English and Dutch, the neighborhood was later home to many of German and Irish descent, followed by Jewish and Italian immigrants, and later, African-Americans. The diversity of residents is also reflected in its architecture, from the fashionable homes of Madison Place, Eagle and Elm streets, to the more modest houses on Bleecker Place, Philip Street, and Park Avenue.
Originally part of the vast area known as the “South End,” the Mansion Neighborhood as it exists currently is defined by the South Mall, now the Empire State Plaza, dating from the 1962 demolition and construction north of Madison Avenue and west of Eagle Street. Today, the most obvious reason for the neighborhood’s name is its proximity to the Executive Mansion. In 1982, the neighborhood was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district because of its architectural and historical significance.
Andrew Watson : Queens Park - History
All Illinois World War 1 Casualties listed in " Soldiers of the Great War "
Additional information on Revolutionary War soldiers:
Abram Watson, Abner Watson of Mercer County and Jacob Gum in Knox County
Story about the Donner Party after the death of the last survivor in 1921
Illinois Genealogy Trails, part of the Genealogy Trails History Group,
is an Independent volunteer organization dedicated to providing free access to Historical and Genealogical Records
Illinois Trails used to be found exclusively at iltrailsdotorg, and expanded to http://genealogytrails.com/ill/ in March of 2006.
Illinois Genealogy Trails History Group
Kim Torp - State Coordinator
Graphics © Kim Torp
All Rights Reserved
Found something you want to use in your own publication or on your own website?
Please ask for permission first.
Read our guidelines
Copyright includes all contents of this site.
It may not be quoted or retransmitted without a full citation to the author, and may not be put into print -- in whole or part -- without the individual author's express permission.
Submitters retain all copyright, along with the hosts.
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.
TEMPORARILY CANCELLED Battle of New Orleans talk - daily at about 10:45 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. when Creole Queen excursion boat docks at battlefield. The visitor center is open and talks are given on Memorial Day and Veterans Day. On all other federal holidays and on Mardi Gras, the visitor center is closed and no talks are given. Free.
Living history is a crucial part of programs and events at Chalmette Battlefield. To find out about participating in the living history program, email the park. Follow the link to the living history and historic weapons program policies and manuals web page to find useful information about historical authenticity in clothing and about historic weapons firing.
Just downriver from New Orleans in Chalmette is the site of the January 8, 1815, Battle of New Orleans: Chalmette Battlefield. Many people believe that this last great battle of the War of 1812 between the United States and Britain was unnecessary, since the treaty ending the war was signed in late 1814, but the war was not over. The resounding American victory at the Battle of New Orleans soon became a symbol of a new idea: American democracy triumphing over the old European ideas of aristocracy and entitlement. General Andrew Jackson's hastily assembled army had won the day against a battle-hardened and numerically superior British force. Americans took great pride in the victory and for decades celebrated January 8 as a national holiday, just like the Fourth of July.
Learn about the War of 1812 from visitor center films and exhibits. Kids can earn a badge with the Junior Ranger program. The visitor center's park store has books, period music, reproductions of items from the period, and children's books. Admission is free. Learn about the visitor center (dedicated on January 8, 2011). Follow these links for the park's calendar of events, exhibits, and programs for directions and transportation options (be sure to see important information about using ride share services) and for accessibility information.
8606 West St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette (GPS users: to reach the battlefield visitor center, use One Battlefield Road. 8606 West St. Bernard Highway is the battlefield/national cemetery mailing address and GPS will provide directions to Chalmette National Cemetery)
Entrance gates hours: Gates at the battlefield and at Chalmette National Cemetery (just downriver from the battlefield) are open 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Monday-Sunday. On federal holidays, gates are open 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., except for Memorial Day and Veterans Day, when gates are open 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. On Mardi Gras (Tuesday, March 5, in 2019), the battlefield is completely closed but the national cemetery is open 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Links to useful information like maps, public transportation, pets, permits for special uses, etc., are available on the basic information page. The paddlewheeler Creole Queen travels from New Orleans' French Quarter to the battlefield visit the Creole Queen website for sailing times and ticket information.
Special programs and activities
Edward is the only one of his siblings who has not divorced. He married Sophie Rhys-Jones back in June of 1999 in a relatively private ceremony (by royal standards) in St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, and in June of 2019, the couple celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary. The happy couple have two children together, Lady Louise Windsor, and James, Viscount Severn.
The Queen's Visit
As the show correctly depicts, at first Queen Elizabeth II neglected to visit Aberfan, sending Prince Philip instead. She ended up visiting the village almost a week after the disaster occurred, and later said her delayed response was her biggest regret as queen. History.com reports that while in the village, the monarch showed "poignant grief"&mdashan atypical response for the usually stoic Elizabeth.
Marjorie Collins, an Aberfan woman who lost her son in the disaster, remembered the queen's visit in a 2015 interview with ITV: "They were above the politics and the din and they proved to us that the world was with us, and that the world cared." Another mother told ITV that no one judged the queen for her delayed response. "We were still in shock, I remember the Queen walking through the mud," she said. "It felt like she was with us from the beginning."
Throughout her life, the Queen visited Aberfan another four times.
Who lives at Royal Lodge now?
Royal Lodge became the official residence of the Duke of York from 2004, when he moved in with his daughters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie (who were then around 15 years old), once lengthy renovations on the property were complete.
However, Beatrice and Eugenie have their own homes in London - Ivy Cottage and St James's Palace. Royal Lodge is their family home though, so it's thought that they come back there regularly.
Despite their separation and subsequent divorce in 1996, Sarah Ferguson and the Duke of York maintain a strong partnership and friendship, and Sarah moved into Royal Lodge with Prince Andrew in 2008.
It's thought that the Windsor home is now Sarah's permanent residence, but the size of the mansion allows the pair to live their lives happily but separately. In a radio interview in 2016, Fergie explained, &ldquoI&rsquom in and out all the time and he's in and out all the time.&rdquo
It's reported that Sarah also divides her time between the Lodge and hers and Andrew's joint-owned chalet in Verbier, Switzerland.
Andrew lownie literary agency
The Andrew Lownie Literary Agency Ltd, founded in 1988, is one of the UK's leading boutique literary agencies with some two hundred non-fiction authors.
It prides itself on its personal attention to its clients and specialises both in launching new writers and taking established writers to a new level of recognition.
According to Publishers Marketplace, Andrew Lownie has regularly been the top selling agent in the world . He has also three times been shortlisted for ‘Agent of the Year’ at the British Bookseller Awards.
View the Agency's books that are on offer to publishers in the UK and the US.
Target Taiwan : How China could make war on the West
A timely, accessible and up-to-date study of how the threat of war with the West over Tai.
Congratulations to Dr Helen Fry whose MI9: The History of Escape and Evasion in Europe in the Sec. Read more
Mortuary memoir optioned for drama
Shoni Productions have optioned Corrupt Bodies: Death and Dirty Dealing in a London Morgue by Pet. Read more
01 Apr 2019Selfie to Shelfie
Self-publishing websites offer non-fiction authors an easy way to turn their manuscript into a bo. Read more
27 Jul 2018Writing your first non-fiction book?
David Craig remembers the lessons he learnt writing his first book. Are you considering writ. Read more
09 Apr 2018Four ways to start a publicity campaign for your book
Journalist and agency author Helen Croydon passes on some of her tips for publicizing your book. . Read more
10 Nov 2017Whose Story is it Anyway?
Bestselling ghostwriter Katy Weitz explores the tension between telling an authentic story whi. Read more
26 Jul 2017When is the right time to plug your book in the papers?
Agency author David McClure recounts his adventures in the newspaper trade after finishing a bo. Read more
24 Jun 2017Ten tips when checking royalty statements
In the second of his articles, Stephen Aucutt, a contracts and royalties expert who has worke. Read more
23 Jun 2017Top tips when negotiating contracts
Stephen Aucutt, formerly contracts manager at Hodder & Stoughton, draws on his thirty years exp. Read more
04 Apr 2017Creating a professional book trailer using Adobe Spark
Piu Eatwell shows how any author can produce a book trailer. The received wisdom is that book . Read more
A Look at the 26 Homes Owned by the British Royal Family
It&rsquos common knowledge that the British royal family lives in some of the most prestigious buildings in the world, like Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace. However, the family owns a number of lesser-known residences throughout the United Kingdom and the world. Whether they are properties still owned by the monarchy or former palaces now regulated as museums, many of these residences recall the history and lives of British royalty. From a 50,000-acre estate in Norfolk, England to a miniature, Berkshire wendy house, these are the 26 regal estates that the royal family has called home.
As depicted in the first season of The Crown, The Queen Mother purchased deteriorating Barrogill Castle in 1952 after seeing it on her visit with Commander and Lady Doris Vyner. After extensive renovations of the castle and gardens in 1955, Her Majesty made the decision to restore the structure's original name, The Castle of Mey. Today, the property is under the stewardship of The Prince's Foundation, which recently opened The Granary Lodge Bed & Breakfast on the grounds.
The original structure on the grounds of the Hollywood-famous Hatfield House, the Royal Palace of Hatfield was the childhood home and favorite residence of Queen Elizabeth I. After the accession of King James I to the throne, he decided to give the palace to Elizabeth's chief minister, Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, who built the breathtaking Jacobean home that is now on the property. Only parts of the original palace still remain on the grounds.
Y Bwthyn Bach or "The Little Cottage" was gifted to then Princess Elizabeth by the Welsh people in 1932. The miniature thatched cottage has remained on the same grounds as the Royal Lodge since then, serving as the official royal playhouse for generations.
In 2020, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and baby Archie settled into their new sprawling estate in Santa Barbara&rsquos garden-loving community of Montecito. While the couple has preferred to stay private about the outside appearance of their new home, they have given us sneak peeks at the home&rsquos interiors through virtual events such as the talk Meghan did for The 19th Represents Summit.
The Dumfries House dates back to 1754, when William Crichton-Dalrymple sketched out plans for a Palladian-style home with lavish interiors filled with colorful and handcrafted Chippendale furniture. Regarded as one of the most significant properties within the Commonwealth, shockwaves ran through Great Britain when news hit it was in the verge of sale, propelling Prince Charles and one of his foundations to raise funds to save the Dumfries. Today, the stately home is open for people to explore its original 18th-century furnishings and incredible interiors.
Originally built for the garden keepers of Richmond Park, the Thatched House Lodge served as a grace-and-favor residence for the royal household until 1927. High political figures such Wing Commander Sir Louis Greig and even President Dwight D. Eisenhower stayed in the home in the following years but, eventually, it would become the permanent residence of Sir Angus Ogilvy and Princess Alexandra in 1963. Alexandra, the Queen&rsquos cousin, lives quietly within the six-bedroom home and often spends her time tending to the horses in the property&rsquos stables.